Saturday, 30 August 2008

Dr. Rachendra Pachauri: Less meat, less heat

Now more than ever am I proud to be a vegetarian. People have scorned, laughed, misunderstood, made stupid remarks from day 1 I decided to give up meat. Even more so when we decided to raise our children on a meat-free diet ('surely we weren't good parents, denying our children vital nutrients'...the nerve of some (uninformed = ignorant) people.

I went to a lecture this evening of Dr. Rachendra Pachauri, nobel prize winner of peace for his work on climate change together with Al Gore in 2007. I knew there was a connection between meat-production, world hunger and climate problems, but I did not realise the impact of the meat-industry to be that big. There were eye opening comparisons, like when everyone in Flanders would eat no meat on only one day a week, we would reduce greenhouse gasses by one milion ton - which is the same as taking 500 000 cars off the road!!!
It seems that if we would all seriously reduce our amount of meat, we would be contributing greatly to the sollution of the climate problem...if...and if politics would include it in their policy...but ignorance as I said...still so proud to be a vegetarian ever more.

More info on www.vegetarisme.be

No comments: