Sunday, 16 December 2007

News

Is there news? Something interesting? - a question my 6-year-old asks me almost everyday now. The news for children he watches is not enough, because the real 'news' is not there. He wants to know whether a plain has crashed, another war has developed and me...? Well, me I simply don't want to know. One week of everyday news is enough to get depressed...And so often my answer is the truth: I don't know, I haven't seen...Is that so bad?
I have been reading some Meredith and Chatterton though and it was immensily interesting and I know I will pass this passion onto him - I'm sure I already have...which is a relief.

1 comment:

Mas. said...

This makes me remember - I recently re-watched the film "good morning Vietnam" (one of my favourite films; with being the distinction of being the first thing I bought on VHS as soon as I both owned a VCR and was old enough to buy the movie) - but a big part of the movie is how the news that is given out, is sanitized for the soldiers and information is controlled.
The same happens everywhere; whether it is the diluted children's news; or even our adult feeds of doom and gloom. Here in England, the news is always a mixture - some celebrity scandal, some fear-ridden incident (be it war-related, or local), something attacking the government and saying "it is all their fault xyz happened" and then a mixture of light "fluff" trying to end the news on a high point.
I don't know; I don't really follow the news in any big way anymore. It does seem that everyday is exactly the same; it is the same stories, just the names of the people involved that change.
Before we were so technologically advanced, "news" would happen and it would pass us by. News was all about facts. This happened, that happened. Now News is all about entertainment - even if it is shrouded in morbidity and opinion. It does seem that everything has an angle, a point; and the news is used to shape that point.

I think I'm ranting a little :D

There are ages of childhood; and being curious about the world at large I think is one of them. I think I always looked to escape the realities - or romanticize them - in my childhood (some might say that "not that much has changed" :) )

Have a good day
hugs
Neil
xx